Saketh is going through the schedule to follow for this coming days, it is the 5th time he is going through the schedule but not yet opened the books, when his mother told the same to him, he was very angry and started yelling at her, you never understand that I am studying, since morning I have been sitting infront of the books and you still push me to study.
One girl came to me with a complaint of too much pressure for exams, the girl was a repeater for MBBS entrance exam, since 120155 days she is behaving in an abnormal way, she wants to study but she is not opening the books, she will pass the time in front of the TV for hours together, she demands all the food from outside, she criticizes her parents for everything about the past and present actions and their financial status, demands more comforts and luxury life. This is a new phase in the life of the parents, they are totally shuttered. If any student is behaving like this it is the symptom of pressure and stress. She is afraid of the syllabus to finish and not sure of the success this time also, she is not ready to take the risk once again the failure in cracking the EAMCET exam. The thought created a fear of failure and that is greatest pressure on her mind.
Dear friends, if you are feeling like studying but your mind blocks with full of fear and tension. The idea of exams itself creates lot of pressure in the brain. Days, weeks and months are going away and exams are approaching fast but you are unable to study for the exam, you will discuss about the exams and schedule to prepare for the exams but there will not be any initiation to study.
If You are doing everything except study. It indicate that you are in severe stress.
What is stress ? How do we recognize it?
- More sleepiness or sleeplessness
- Feeling More hungry or no appetite
- Many plans to study but failed to focus on studies
- Exam date is approaching nearer but you wish it is postponed.
- Keeping books in front of you and getting in to future or past thoughts and dilemma to study or not.
- Don’t want to talk with any one or want to talk more.
- Hesitation and anger without any reason; sudden cry spells.
- Stomach upset and vomiting sensation.
- Unconsciousness, shivering, sweating and drying out the tone; will happen frequently.
- Many times urination, tiresomeness and the feeling of feverish.
- Mind blankness, feeling of memory loss.
- Different thoug-hts at the beginning of study; getting head ache and unable to stop all those unusual thoughts.
- Talking more about the future and showing more interest on unnecessary things.
- More day dreaming.
If you are suffering from at least nine symptoms of them, you are the victim of severe pressure/stress. To escape from stress, raise the following questions.
-Why am I getting stress? Is it good or bad for my future? Which element is problematic to me, syllabus, difficult part of the subjects, not able understand the concepts or memory?
Reasons for stress:
- Feeling little or no control over the exam situation (rather than knowing and applying exam strategies)
- Negative thinking and self-criticism (rather than being one’s own best friend)
- Irrational thinking about exams and outcomes
- Irrational beliefs “If I don’t pass, my (family/boyfriend/girlfriend/friends) will lose respect for me”; “I will never get a Degree.”
- Irrational demands “I have to get at least a 90% or I am waste candidate.”
- Catastrophic predictions “I’ll fail no matter what I do—there’s no point.”
Methods to come out of the stress:
- Apply the known relaxation methods, your mind will be in relaxed state. Then think about your comfortable and interested subject. Then Your mind will support you to the full extent.
- Don’t waste the time in fighting with difficult subject. Ask for a help your teachers and discuss with your friends.